When David Cummings moved to Atlanta in 2002, there was virtually no startup environment in the city. Since that time, David has been a leader in changing our city’s startup landscape, selling his marketing automation firm, Pardot, in 2012 and founding Atlanta Tech Village. Today this dynamic co-working space is home to nearly 300 startups, and fueling the Atlanta startup ecosystem (now one of the largest in the country).
David sat down with Arketi Group’s Mike Neumeier, for a fireside chat at TAG’s 2017 Geek Out Marketing Technology. During the discussion, Cummings broke down the essential components of the MarTech toolkit, top marketing technology trends, the future marketing landscape and MarTech in Atlanta. Check out his top tips and insights below.
Essential Components of the MarTech Toolkit
- Customer Relationship Management (CRM) Tools – analyzes and manages customer interactions throughout their consumer lifecycle to show the viability of the campaign.
- Marketing Automation Tools – allows marketing departments to automate and measure repetitive tasks to increase efficiency.
- Account-Based Marketing Tools –allows marketers to identify their best customer profile and find qualified prospects, as well as nurture current customers.
- Outbound Engagement Tools – these tools are all about demand generation, finding qualified leads, and leading them through the sales funnel.
- Marketing Orchestration Tools – a system that integrates all of these different marketing technology platforms into actionable data.
Marketing Technology Trends
Cummings recommends keeping an eye on these hot MarTech trends and tech advances.
- Customer Data Platform – gain a holistic account view by compiling raw data from every systems used throughout the customer lifecycle to create valuable information for marketers
- Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence – generate more accurate recommendations for campaigns and workflows, increasing efficiency and reach
- Intent Data – use data from neutral third-party sites to target more qualified leads
- Block Chain – a neutral public ledger of company and employee data
- Smarketing – develop better alignment between sales and marketing to create greater success for both departments
- More CMOs Rising to CEO – responsibilities for today’s CMOs transcend a wide range of functions, giving them more comprehensive organizational understanding, and poising them for the CEO position in a way we’ve not seen in the past
Characteristics of Tomorrow’s Marketer
As marketing departments become more technological and analytical (i.e. more expensive), quantifying ROI and accurately measuring results will be critical to justify the costs. According to a recent Gartner report today marketing departments are almost spending more on IT than IT departments.
With these changes, technical skills, or at least an understanding of them, will become increasingly more important for marketers. Creatives will always be an essential function, as storytelling and messaging will be critical no matter how advanced the technology become.
MarTech in Atlanta
Cummings traces Atlanta’s rich marketing technology ecosystem back the strong agency, media and design history within the city. In addition, Atlanta is a city of big brands fueled by innovation.
“We have one of the largest marketing technology clusters in the world,” said Cummings. “There are over 3000 people working in MarTech in Atlanta, in some capacity.”
MarTech is an ever-evolving industry. Atlanta is a city built on innovation. Together, these qualities have evolved the Atlanta MarTech ecosystem into one of the most successful in the nation.