Mixology Monday, where Arketians enjoy a delicious cocktail on a Monday. Or maybe we have a cocktail because it’s Monday. Do we really need an excuse to enjoy a cocktail?
It’s my first time hosting barketi’s Mixology Monday and heard through the grape vines a client may drop by, so the pressure was on.
Why did I pick mojitos you’re probably wondering?
Asides from the obvious alliterative qualities of Mojito Monday, I picked mojitos because it’s been a nasty summer here in Georgia and there are few other drinks out there that can top the rejuvenating qualities of a mojito on a sweltering hot day.
Mojitos > Gatorade, although I can’t seem to get major league sports onboard with me.
I also didn’t think anyone would appreciate me channeling my inner Ron Swanson and just bringing in a bottle of Lagavulin scotch (don’t you dare put ice in it) for Mixology Monday. Nor would I want to share my Lagavulin (sorry Arketians).
Without further adieu, here is a simple 5 ingredient mojito recipe to get your chill on.
- 1.5 oz of white rum (or 2 if you’re feeling adventurous…)
- 1.5 oz lime juice, fresh squeezed is preferable but the bottle stuff will work
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 5 fresh mint leaves (medium to large leaves)
- 2 oz club soda
- Place sugar and mint in highball glass, muddle leaves and sugar until leaves are heavily bruised (this releases the mint oils)
- Pour rum into glass and give it a good stir
- Pour lime juice into glass and give that a good stir too
- Pour club soda into glass and give the whole thing a light stir
- Place beach chair somewhere sunny and preferably near a body of water, grab your shades and enjoy!
This really is a drink best made individually, but you can also prepare a pitcher to save time when entertaining a large crowd. I find the flavor is best when made one at a time. Even if it’s for 15 people. But it was well worth the effort and everyone seemed to enjoy them, including our client.
In the end, I felt accomplished and got to drink one of my favorite cocktails. Not bad for a Monday.