If you’ve started to notice that your CMO is asking for more budget than your CIO, you’re not alone. According to Gartner, during 2017 CMOs will spend more on IT than CIOs.
Why the increased interest in technology? Prospects and customers are becoming more sensitive to being “told” and “sold” to, which means brands must start to think more about experience, useful content and authentic connections.
That’s where technology comes in. Savvy CMOs are using it to effectively reach and engage their buyers.
At the center of a thriving marketing technology environment is Atlanta, which has the highest density of marketing tech in the country.
Not only do we have a number of marketing, sales and analytics technology companies who have made Atlanta their home, but some of the top Fortune 500 brands are here too. Combine that with a budding startup community, and it’s easy to see how Atlanta is quickly becoming the world’s capital for marketing technology.
During a Technology Executives Roundtable event, executives from four of Atlanta’s marketing tech companies — Arke Systems, Cardlytics, Insightpool and Salesfusion — came together to discuss marketing and sales today. Here are few key take-aways from their discussion:
- Marketing automation technology has become the default dial tone of marketing. To ensure you choose the best solution, make sure (1) you can afford it, (2) it has all the functionality you need and (3) it’s easy to use.
- When it comes to choosing a marketing tool, only the Marketing department should decide which one will best meet company objectives. One thing to consider, how the technology integrates with other applications in the organization. This is more important than choosing the actual tool.
- It’s all about the data – collecting, sharing and using it. Your customers are connecting via mobile, desktop and social media, and companies need to be where their customers are. Interestingly, only about 10 percent of companies are analyzing the data they collect.
- CMOs and CFOs need to partner to ensure Marketing is seen as a revenue center, rather than a cost center.
- We live in a world of influencer marketing, so it’s now about marketing through – rather than to – people. If you figure out how to activate people to do your marketing for you, you are ahead of the game.
- Account-based marketing is the next big thing in BtoB marketing – be sure to check it out.
Anything we’ve overlooked in the new marketing tech economy? Tell us what you think.